Friday 30 January 2015

Endgame.... the CXNE Finals, 25th January 2015

Photo copyright of Sue Langford

This was my last cyclocross race of the 2014/15 season.. and it was a belter!

Make no mistake, I was really nervous as my finishing position was crucial and would affect the overall standings of the women's category. I had to finish in front of Jen Batey to take the second overall, we were both going to be fighting for it.

On the way to Whitby my dad was saying how brutally hard the weather made the race last year which was not exactly reassuring for me, I ended up praying that it was going to be kinder this time around! Someone must have been listening as it wasn't cold, praise be! Dad had concluded his season so it was only me racing and as I was being waited on hand and foot got to use his 'fast wheels', hey, a girl could get used to this!

Whitby was another power-based course, we did a few practise laps together and dad was giving me tips as we went around the course.  As much as I don't want to admit it, he helped a lot and we had a right laugh with the hurdles and sand pits!
I popped to the starting line where everyone could hear John Davidson (the best commentator in the world!) talking about the situation between me and Jen! No pressure at all, aye right!

As the gun went off me and Jen went hell for leather. There was a horrible little hill at the end of the first straight and knowing there was no time to lose I powered up it as hard as I could and got in front of Jen. A little while later I was hindered by the hurdles and she overtook me, I was trying my best not to let her go keeping a hard cadence going. Coming to the steep off-camber section Jen got off to run, I stayed on my bike and hammered through it overtaking her in the process. From here I was leading and thought I was working alone..... I wasn't! All of a sudden the amazing Karen Robertson went flying past me, I stuck to her back wheel for a little while but it didn't last long, she was a machine!



It was turning into a hard race on a hard course and despite fatigue starting to set in there was no let up, I couldn't keep it steady with the thought of Jen catching me up. The race went really quickly and as soon as I knew it the bell went and it was the last lap. I kept my position and crossed the finish line with a massive smile on my face taking the second place with Jen in third!


The overall standings saw Nicola Davies take the top spot with Jen in second and me in third! I missed that second position by just one point!  I'll get you next year Jen!

I absolutely love cyclocross!

May I take this opportunity to say a massive "THANK YOU" to the extended CXNE family for all the support they have given, from the organisation of the events and setting up of the courses to all of the spectators cheering you on. I really do feel honoured to be a part of it and would highly recommend anyone to join in.  I've made some life long friends in just a short time, the support is amazing.

Thank you!

Now I guess it's time to begin my summer training where the criterium racing will be beckoning, bring it on!!

Megan x

No comments:

Post a Comment